Rules regarding borrowing, fines and fees
All undergraduate and graduate students may borrow up to 35 items from the library’s General circulating collections, including DVDs, books, musical scores, audio CDs, and other resources. The loan period for most books is 30 days and seven days for audio CDs and DVDs. Items may be renewed once prior to the actual due date. You can renew items online, by telephone or at the Circulation Desk in Maxwell Library. Overdue fines must be paid before renewal. Students must use their Connect Cards to check out library materials.
Fines and fees are paid under the following system:
- Course reserve fines for two-hour, three-hour and overnight loans are $1.00 per hour to a
maximum of $10.00 per item. Fines for one-week loans are $1.00 per day to a maximum
of $10 per item.
- Fines for overdue group study room keys and One Button Studio room key is $1.00 per
- Laptops, iPads, and scanners are $1.00 per day to a maximum of $10.00 per item.
Please note: Some items, particularly Educational Resource Center (ERC) items, accrue fines at a higher hourly rate and therefore a higher daily accrual rate, and they have higher replacement costs. All BSU students who accumulate $10.00 or more in fines or fees will have their library privileges suspended. Transcript and/or registration holds will be placed when students accumulate $20.00 or more in fines or fees. Community library users incurring the same level of fines will have their borrowing privileges suspended until their accounts are settled.
- General and ERC circulating collection items (i.e., books, maps, musical scores, audio CDs, etc.): $45.00 for replacement and $10.00 processing fee.
- Children's collection items: $20.00 for replacement and $10.00 processing fee.
- DVDs and videos: $75.00 for replacement and $10.00 processing fee.
- Laptop computers (PCs, Chromebooks, and MacBooks): $250.00 for replacement and $10.00 processing fee.
Students returning lost items undamaged within 30 days of replacement and processing fee payment will have the replacement fee refunded. The processing fee will not be refunded.
Please contact Circulation Services with any questions via telephone at 508.531.1392 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Library Website.
You may request a HOLD on material that is currently checked out to someone else. You can request a HOLD in person by visiting the Circulation Services desk in Maxwell Library, or by calling 508.531.1392, or by e-mailing Circulation Services at email@example.com.
Library Lost & Found
Found items may be turned in to the Circulation Services desk. Items considered a potential health risk will be discarded. Articles of clothing will be kept for 30 days and, if not claimed, discarded or donated to charity. All print or paper items will be recycled or destroyed after 30 days. The owners of cell phones, laptops, wallets and other valuable items will be contacted if the owner's name is apparent. After 30 days, all lost items such as cell phones, wallets, valuable electronics, and BSU Connect Cards will be turned in to BSU Campus Police.
Updated 8/2019 by Michael Somers, Library Services