Residence Hall Policies and Procedures


Additional Occupancy

In order to manage the high demand for on-campus living, a number of rooms are designated to have a temporary additional occupant.

  • Students that reside within an additional occupancy room receive a 20 percent rebate on the housing costs for the period of additional occupancy.
    • This rebate appears as a credit on the students’ bill after the students in that room are offered the opportunity to move to permanent spaces.
    • As residents withdraw from housing, students residing in additional occupancy rooms are made offers to move to permanent room assignments.
    • The need for additional occupancy has historically been eliminated in the spring semester.
  • When offered a permanent assignment, residents of additional occupancy rooms may agree to remain together as a voluntary additional occupancy room.
    • The 20 percent rebate ends at the time residents are offered permanent spaces.
    • Students can choose this option by completing and signing a Voluntary Additional Occupancy Form.

Break Housing

Housing occupancy is for the academic year only and does not include residency during winter and spring break. The university may, with prior notice to the resident, use any residence space during break periods. The resident agrees, upon reasonable notice, to remove personal belongings during any break periods when the university will use the room.

  • Students must leave university housing on the day of their last fall or spring semester final examination and on the last class day prior to the spring break period.

  • Winter and spring break housing is available for an additional fee. Information on the application process is available on the Office of Residence Life and Housing’s website under: Break Housing

Housing Deposits

A $250 housing deposit and a completed Residence Hall License Agreement are required to be considered for a room assignment.

  • The housing deposit is nonrefundable, unless the university is unable to provide a room after accepting the deposit.
  • The housing deposit will be credited to the student's account for the semester that they begin living on campus.
  • Students who withdraw from housing will forfeit their housing deposit.

Housing Eligibility

To be eligible for campus housing a student must be actively enrolled in a course at Bridgewater State University at all times during their course of residency.

Break Stay Housing

Break Stay Housing is available to students who have a need to remain in housing during the winter and spring break periods. Students who are interested in the Break Stay Housing option can select this option during the room selection period.

  • Break Stay housing students are assigned to the Great Hill Student Apartments or Pope Hall and pay an additional fee. Students who contract for Break Stay Housing are responsible for the full cost of the contract whether or not they choose to remain on campus during the break periods. 

The contract runs from the first day of occupancy for the fall semester through the date that the residence halls close for the year in May.

Room Change Procedure

All room changes must be approved by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. Unapproved room changes may result in a $35 improper room change fee and a referral to the Office of Community Standards.

In order to verify that all expected resident students that had deposited have moved onto campus, there will be a two-week room change freeze at the beginning of each semester.  We will begin accommodating room change requests after the freeze is completed.

The Room Change Request process is available on the Monday after Thanksgiving for semester break assignment changes and after room selection in the spring for summer changes.

Requests are honored based on the date and time submitted.

  • Students may complete a Room Change Request form in the MyHousing portal to indicate interest in moving to another room.
  • If the request is granted, the student will be emailed a Room Change Pass.
    • The resident must: initiate the checkout process with a Residence Life and Housing staff member; complete an inspection of their current assignment; code their access card; and make the move within 24 hours of receiving the room change pass.
    • It is also necessary to check into the new room by completing an inspection of their new assignment and having their card coded for the new assignment.
    • Failure to comply with this procedure in the allotted time period will result in a $35 improper room change fee.

Summer Housing

Housing is available for students who have a need to remain in housing during the summer break.

  • Applications and Information regarding summer housing is available on the Office of Residence Life and Housing’s website at: Summer Break Housing.

Withdrawal from Housing

The term of the license agreement is for the full academic year (fall and spring semesters). Students who withdraw from the residence halls during the academic year forfeit their housing deposit, pay the housing cancelation fee, and remain liable for housing charges.

  • Students may petition to be released from the Residence Hall License Agreement if they can demonstrate an inability to fulfill the terms of the agreement due to an extenuating circumstance:
  • Students who are granted a release from the Residence Hall License Agreement will be awarded a refund for housing as follows:
    • 100 percent refund prior to the first day of occupancy
    • Prorated refunds from the first day of occupancy until Monday after the last day of the drop/add period.  No refund thereafter


Cleaning/Care of Rooms & Trash Removal

Residents are required to maintain cleanliness, reasonable sanitation and safety standards in all university spaces. Residents are responsible for providing brooms, vacuum cleaners, dust pans, detergents, etc. for the proper cleaning and maintenance.

  • Waste materials, including empty bottles, cans and trash, should be removed regularly and disposed of or recycled in receptacles provided.
  • Trash should be placed in a plastic bag before disposal in designated areas.
  • Floors should be washed and rugs vacuumed regularly.
  • Residents are responsible for leaving their room in the move-in condition upon check out.
  • In the event that the university must clean a room or apartment, the resident(s) will be assessed a cleaning charge.

Damage Billing Policy

Residents are responsible for the condition of the space assigned to them. Each room will be inspected by the Residence Life and Housing staff prior to occupancy, during scheduled health and safety inspections, and also upon termination of occupancy.

  • Any lack of cleanliness and/or damage/vandalism to or theft/loss of university property will be charged to the resident's account.
  • Charges for damage/vandalism to common areas within student spaces will be divided among the residents of the hall or apartment or a specific area of the hall.
  • All damage charges will be assessed to the resident within thirty (30) days of the expiration of the term of the residence hall license agreement.
  • Questions regarding one's bill may be directed to the Office of Residence Life & Housing. Formal appeals for individual damage charges may be addressed in writing to the Office of Residence Life and Housing.

Community Billing: Community areas are spaces shared by all the residents in a given hall. Community Billing may occur when significant or repetitive damage occurs to these areas and no individual is found responsible:

  • Incurred damage costs are equally split among the residents of the floor/wing/stairwell/building and assessed to students' accounts.
  • These charges are not subject to appeal.
  • Residents with information about responsible individuals should contact their area coordinator or resident director.

Alteration of Premises: Residents shall not make any changes, alterations or improvements to university spaces. This shall include, but not be limited to:

  • The addition or changing of any locks
  • Removal of window screens
  • The alteration of the heating or lighting fixtures
  • The painting of any surface without approval from the Office of Residence Life & Housing.


All furniture and furnishings brought into university housing are subject to approval by a Residence Life and Housing staff member.

  • All personal furniture must be removed at the end of the occupancy period.
  • No personal upholstered furniture is allowed in the residence halls.
  • University supplied furniture cannot be removed from the room unless approved by a full-time Residence Life and Housing staff member.
  • Additional university supplied furniture, based on availability may be provided upon request.

The furniture in community spaces (lounges, games rooms, laundry rooms, etc.) is for the use of all residents of the building and may not be moved from these spaces. The unauthorized possession of university owned furniture may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards.

Room Decorations

Pictures, posters and other decorations may be hung on the walls with adhesive that will not mar the wall surface.

  • Nails, tacks, pins, screws, scotch tape, Command Strips (and the like) and duct tape are damaging, and their use may lead to damage charges.
  • No more than a third of the room door should be covered with decorations.
  • No decoration may impede emergency access or exit in rooms, hallways or public areas.
  • No items may be posted on or suspended from the ceiling, smoke detector or sprinkler head.
    • Tampering with fire safety equipment may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards.
    • All decorations must be flame resistant.

Holiday decorations in the residence halls must meet the following criteria, as established in accordance with fire codes:

  • No live trees, wreaths or other live decorations are permitted.
  • Holiday lights must be UL approved.

Residence Life

Entry to Resident Rooms

Authorized university personnel may enter residential spaces without notice for the following reasons:

  • Maintenance and housekeeping purposes
  • Health and safety inspections
  • Inspection for damage
  • Break closing inspections
  • Other emergency purposes

The university also reserves the right to enter residential spaces if there is a reasonable cause to believe that a violation of university policies and procedures is taking place.

  • If there is some specific reason to suspect that a criminal offense has taken place or that evidence of such an offense may be secured in a room, university officials will enter the room only with a resident's permission or pursuant to a warrant.
  • If in the course of any entry, illegal or restricted materials are found in plain view, they will be removed and the affected resident(s) will be notified of the confiscation and may be referred to the Office of Community Standards.

Fundraising Guidelines

Any student organizations interested in conducting a fundraiser in the residence halls must complete and submit a fundraising request form which can be obtained on the Office of Residence Life and Housing’s website at: Fundraising Request Form. This request must be submitted week in prior to the start of the fundraiser. Raffles of any kind cannot be conducted in the residence halls.

Once approval is received all groups must adhere to the following guidelines:

  • Only BSU affiliated groups will be allowed to use residence hall space for the purpose of fundraising.
  • Any costs associated with the fundraiser must be assumed by the organization sponsoring the activity.
  • Proceeds from the fundraiser must be properly accounted for and deposited into the sponsoring organization's account.
  • If selling food or baked goods, items must be premade and cannot be prepared in the residence halls (e.g., grilled cheese sales).
  • If the fundraiser involves the collection of certain items, the sponsoring group must reserve tables and establish drop off times. Boxes should never be left unattended.
  • Door to door solicitation is strictly prohibited.

Prohibited Items

The following items are prohibited in the residence halls:

  • All cooking and food preparation appliances (except as listed below)
  • Air conditioners
  • Candles
  • Incense burners
  • Grills
  • Space heaters
  • Dartboards
  • Pets (except fish and those permitted under the Americans with Disabilities legislation)
  • Homemade loft or bunk beds
  • Cinder blocks and other bed lofting apparatus
  • Upholstered Furniture (i.e. furniture covered with fabric and/or padding/stuffing)
  • Hoverboards and Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices (EPAMDs)

The possession of any prohibited items may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards.
The following items are allowed in the residence halls:

  • One microwave oven (under 1000 watts)
  • One blender
  • One coffee maker
  • One refrigerator (up to 1.4 total amps or no more than 3.2 cubic feet)

Students assigned to Weygand Hall and the Great Hill Student Apartments have university provided full-size refrigerators and therefore are not allowed to bring in additional refrigerators. 

The following items are allowed in the kitchen area of the Great Hill Student Apartments only:

  • One toaster
  • One toaster oven
  • One George Foreman type grill
  • One rice cooker

Quiet Hours and Courtesy Hours Policy

Residents must be considerate of neighbors and thoughtful about noise levels at all times. Residents are directly responsible for controlling their own noise level as well as that of their guests. Residents should never assume that if they have not been confronted, that their noise level is acceptable.

It is the responsibility of all members of the community to enforce and to adhere to quiet hours and courtesy hours. Cooperation is essential.

Quiet hours are:

  • Sunday evening - Friday morning:  9pm - 8am
  • Friday evening - Sunday morning:  12am - 10am

Courtesy hours are in effect at all times. During courtesy hours any resident may request that noise be reduced.

At all times the following guidelines apply:

  • Loud music or other noise that can be heard beyond the limits of an individual's room is never acceptable and may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards.
  • Any type of sports or sports-related activities (such as bouncing a basketball) is prohibited at all times.

Room Inspection Procedures

Rooms will be inspected for health, safety and security reasons on a periodic basis and prior to each break period, by a Residence Life and Housing staff member, with or without notice or the presence of residents.

During inspections:

  • The standards for the maintenance of residence hall space and furniture will be evaluated and the resident(s) may be required to remove, correct or make other necessary changes to meet university safety and building maintenance guidelines.
  • Prohibited items may be confiscated, which may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards.
  • Occupants of rooms or apartments not found to be in acceptable condition will be charged a fee to cover cleaning costs.
  • The university reserves the right to immediately terminate the residence hall license agreement of any of the occupants whose room or apartment has excessive damage or loss.

During inspections, if an unusual situation arises or if there is suspicion of illegal use of the room (i.e. to store stolen goods, alcohol or other drugs) the situation may be reported to university police and may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards.


Non-university related commercial activities, solicitations, fundraising activities or advertisements are not permitted in the buildings or on the grounds of the university residence halls.

Safety & Security

Emergency Evacuation Procedures

When a fire alarm sounds:

  • All residents and guests must promptly exit the building when a fire alarm sounds, regardless of whether it is a fire drill, false activation or actual fire.
  • Any person who is physically unable to exit the building should immediately contact the university police department at (508-531-1212) from a cell phone or 911 from a campus phone.
  • Please use the closest exit available, including emergency exits, in your building. Do not use elevators. It is important to be aware of all possible exit locations in your residence hall in the event that one or more of the fire exits are unsafe.
  • Questions regarding the procedures should be directed to Residence Life and Housing staff (508-531-1277) or the university police department (508-531-1212).

Meeting Places:

All students are to gather at their building’s designated meeting place so that emergency vehicles and personnel can gain easy access to the building and ensure the safety of those who have exited the building.

  • In the event of an emergency Residence Life and Housing Staff will take attendance at the meeting place in order to give emergency personnel a list of individuals who may still be in the building and may need assistance exiting it.
  • Residence Life and Housing staff will direct students to a temporary shelter if necessary.
Building Meeting Place
Crimson Hall University Park
DiNardo Hall University Park/Pedestrian Walkway
Great Hill Student Apartments Parking Lot - Please stay off the sidewalk
Miles Hall University Park/Pedestrian Walkway
Pope Hall Stearns Botanical Garden - between Pope Hall and DMF Math and Science Building
Scott Hall Campus Center Courtyard
Shea/Durgin Halls Shea/Durgin Parking Lot - in front of the building and across the street
Stonehouse Hall The Moore Garden adjacent to Stonehouse Hall
Weygand Hall On the grass in front of Stonehouse Hall and East Campus Commons
Woodward Hall Harrington Parking Lot

Special Needs/Disabilities:

Resident students that require accommodations in the event of an emergency evacuation need to contact the Office of Residence Life & Housing to create a plan to ensure their safety in the case of an emergency evacuation.

Re-entering the Building:

No one may re-enter the building until directed to do so by university officials or the police department. Even if an alarm stops sounding students must wait for university officials to allow re-entry into the building.

Guest Policy

A guest is defined as anyone who does not reside in the assigned room, suite or apartment, regardless of whether they reside in the same building.

  • Guests must be signed in and escorted by their host at all times.
  • Residents may sign in no more than 3 guests at one time.  Residents cannot host more than 3 times the occupancy of their assigned space.
  • The Residence Life and Housing staff monitors guest policies and reserves the right to suspend guest privileges for policy violations or in emergency situations.

Acceptable Forms of Identification

  • Resident students must have their BSU Connect Card to enter a building or to be signed in as a guest.
  • Commuter students and non-student guests must present a valid (not expired) photo identification (ID). The following types of ID are acceptable:
    • Connect Card (current BSU students only)
    • Passport
    • State ID card
    • Military ID card
    • Driver’s license
    • Liquor ID

No photo copies or pictures of IDs are acceptable in the place of a physical form of identification

Prior to signing in a guest, the host must have the approval of all residents living in the same room, suite or apartment.

  • If a student's comfort or sense of privacy is violated by unwelcome visitor(s), they may request that the guest leave.
  • If the residents cannot successfully resolve the matter, a Residence Life and Housing staff member can be requested to assist.

An overnight guest is defined as a guest who would be arriving or staying past 11:00 PM.

  • Overnight guests cannot visit for more than 3 consecutive nights in any 7-day period.
  • Overnight guests must not visit in a pattern that may be interpreted by Residence Life and Housing staff as being an additional occupant of the residential space.

Hosts are responsible for their guests' conduct and are liable for any damage done to university property or violation of university policy committed by the guest.

  • Guests must abide by all university policies and procedures.
    • Guests, even if over 21 years of age, may not bring alcoholic beverages onto campus (including the Great Hill Student Apartments).
  • The university assumes no responsibility for guests that are not students.
  • Violations of the guest policy may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards.

Guest Policy – Minors:

Non-student guest under the age of 16 are not required to present a photo ID to be signed in.  If staying overnight, these guests must follow the outlined procedures:

  • Obtain prior approval from the Office of Residence Life and Housing by signing an agreement indicating that the host student is (a) eighteen (18) years of age or older; and (b) has responsibility for the care, custody, and control of the minor while on University property.
  • This agreement serves as an acknowledgement, a liability release, and an emergency medical care authorization for the minor from the minor’s parent or guardian to the host student, unless otherwise determined by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. The form can be located on the Office of Residence Life and Housings website at: Minor Guests.

Health and Safety

Federal, state and university policies regarding health, safety, alcohol, drugs, firearms and the like will be upheld in all university residence halls.

  • Hallways, stairwells, doorways, elevators, emergency exits and entryways must be clear at all times.
  • Students may not gain access to, cross, or use building roofs in any manner.
  • Removing or lifting window screens, sitting on windowsills, leaning out of windows or bringing items into the building via windows is prohibited.
  • No item may be dropped or thrown from windows.
  • Tampering with fire safety equipment is prohibited.

Failure to comply with these policies may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards and/or a damage assessment.

Lock Out and Lost Connect Card Policies

Students are responsible for carrying their Connect Card with them at all times. All resident students use their University issued Connect Card to access their rooms.

If a student is locked out they should locate an institutional security officer, area coordinator, resident director, resident assistant or office assistant.  If a staff member is not available the student may have to wait until resident assistant duty begins.

  • Resident assistants are on duty between 7pm and 7am each day of the week and 7pm and 9am on the weekends.
  • On Saturday and Sunday there will also be a resident assistant available on call to address lockouts between 9am and 7pm.
  • Information about the RA on duty (i.e. name, phone numbers and room numbers) is posted nightly outside of the RA Office.

If a student loses their Connect Card:

  • During business hours (Monday  Friday 9am – 5pm):
    • Obtain a replacement card from the Parking and Connect Card Services office prior to seeing a Residence Life and Housing staff member who will code their card.
      • If a Connect Card is lost, the student will be billed $25 to replace the card.
  • Outside of business hours:
    • Residence Life and Housing staff will issue a temporary card that must be returned by the following business day at 5 pm.
    • If a temporary card is lost, the student will be billed $25 to replace the card.

Malicious Fire Alarm Policy

Tampering with fire safety equipment (e.g., smoke/heat detectors, fire extinguishers, pull stations, pre-alarm covers and fire horns) or initiating false alarms/bomb threats may result in immediate suspension from the residence halls.

When a malicious false fire alarm occurs:

  • Each resident of the building will be charged $5 for the alarm. An additional $2 will be added for each additional malicious alarm.
  • If two false alarms occur after 10 pm on any night, the Residence Life and Housing staff will request that a fire watch be instituted. This fire watch will be at the expense of the building's residents.
  • If there are five consecutive days of false alarms, the Residence Life and Housing staff will request that a fire watch be instituted for the next five consecutive days. This fire watch will be at the expense of the students of the building. 

Bridgewater State University offers a $500 reward to any person(s) providing information to university police that result in a finding of responsibility of any individual(s) causing a false fire alarm in a campus building.

Security Procedures

All entrance doors are locked 24 hours per day, seven days per week, 365 days per year.

  • Residence hall front entrances are monitored during designated periods. Security staff monitors front entrances and registers guests to the building.
  • Secondary exit doors are clearly labeled and alarmed and may not be used except in an emergency.
    • Misusing or tampering with a secondary exit door may result in a referral to the Office of Community Standards.
  • Each student room is furnished with a telephone line equipped for on-campus and emergency dialing; students must provide their own telephone and request that ResNet activates their line.
  • Each student room is equipped with a lock and residents are issued an access card. All rooms have locking windows. Students should lock their doors and windows to protect both their property and themselves.
    • Tampering with locks, theft, duplication or unauthorized use of any Connect Cards to a university facility is a serious conduct code violation.
    • No resident student is permitted to lend his/her Connect Card to another person.
  • The university does not assume responsibility for the loss of or damage to personal articles by fire, theft, water damage or any other cause. All students are advised to carry personal property insurance.
  • During break periods students are not permitted in the residence halls. Students who need to enter a residence hall due to an emergency should contact university police for permission to enter and to arrange for an escort.

Updated 7/15/2019 by Justin McCauley, Office of Residence Life & Housing